Saturday, December 10, 2011

buggin me

Here's a few things that are bugging me. Since no one really reads this, I figured it's safe to vent here:) People who cannot use proper English. Not King's English, just plain grammatically correct English. For example, in Carson's 2nd grade classroom at a class party, I overheard the following convo...teacher's aide/parent "There ain't no more. Oh, (embarrassed face) I mean, 'There's NOT no more'!" I hope that they saw my disgusting face as a reaction to Ben's crying, and not at the fact that I was actually biting my tongue to keep from correcting her. There's always stuff on FB that irritates me too, like people incorrectly using their/they're/there wrong, and using the word "whom" when it is never called for. As in "Whom knows what time the movie starts?" At least when I read that, I can scream at the computer screen in the privacy of my own home. Not that I have perfect grammar, but GEEZ!
Another thing bugging me is a few people whom (haha, see how it doesn't remotely sound correct) constantly post quotes on Pinterest that are quotes about living righteously by members of our Church. Not that the quotes aren't absolutely wonderful and true...but here's my problem. One of my friends posted a wonderful quote about being as quick to kneel as we are to text. After she found out it was from our Church, she deleted it. BOOO! It was perfectly ok until she found out the author. Seems pretty ridiculous to admire a quote to the point that you share it with everyone you know, but then it becomes an atrocity when you discover the author?! I was surprised how irritated it made me that someone could be so....ignorant. It reminds me of how my kids loved my new pizza recipe unitl they discovered it was *gasp* healthy! I guess I should be happy that they liked the info, even if it was for a brief period of time. Either way, I haven't clued her in that the other 6 pins were totally from General Conference :)
And finally...Italian Chicken Sandwhiches. What the heck, BURGER KING!? Sometimes they carry them, and then as soon as they appear, they discontinue them. GRRR! They're so yummy and I haven't been able to replicate them at home. Deliciousness shouldn't be cancelled!

4 comments:

Joel and Cassie Burch said...

you are too funny!
whom was that all about....pretty sure it aint about me......I hope! :)

Daniel and Lacey Brown said...

no one person in particular, just random stuff that I had to get out before I exploded and made a specatacle of myself ;)

hanneyjo said...

I read it, and I'm offended! haha

Seriously, though, I agree with all of the above. Except that I still get confused about who and whom, and I have an English degree, so please don't yell at me while you're here for Christmas. haha

Daniel and Lacey Brown said...

Whom is the objective form. If you can substitute "him" or "her" as the pronoun, you're cool. To WHOM am I speaking...I am speaking to WHOM....I am speaking to HIM/HER. WHO is going to the movies? HE is going to the movies. WHO is the subject...WHOM is the object of the preposition. I don't mind if people are genuinely confused, but I don't like when people do it to sound intelligent when they obviously aren't..hahaha. BTW, I cannot get lay down and lie down/lying down correct to save my life!