Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Music is my aeroplane

As I'm sitting in my car waiting for Carsons basketball practice to end, I have a rare moment of solitude. So I'm blasting my CDs. If video killed the radio star, kids killed my ability to listen to cds while driving. But for the next hour, I have my cds. Nothing quite like the poetry of the Killers.  I love when I love every song on an album and I don't have to skip any. Anyways, If you know that the title of my blog is a Red Hot Chili Peppers song A: you're awesome, congrats and B: you might appreciate that this post is dedicated to music appreciation. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I log every song I ever hear in my mind and associate it with a time period or person or event in my life. That RHCP song is totally old and wasn't a big hit, but it reminds me of my best friend in elementary school.  I don't know why it reminds me of her, but it just does. Maybe that's weird, but it happens. I hang my memories on songs. I can't hear Train without thinking of hanging out with friends in Texas. I can't hear Blink 182 without thinking about high school and hanging out at Court Square Towers late at night while my best friends/crushes "borrowed" materials from the YMCA across the street to build stuff to grind skateboards on. They returned the items btw. I cannot hear .38 Special, Lynard Skynard, Nazareth, Steve Van Zandt, or Aerosmith without thinking of my dad and his RECORD player. I'm not sure my kids even know what that is. Tom Petty=my stepdad. Guns n Roses. Paradise City reminds me of a goofy cousin who changed the lyrics. Matchbox 20 goes along with high school soccer practice and a terrible breakup. The Killers CDs remind me of college. Creedence Clearwater Revivial reminds me of my uncle who passed away a decade ago. Travis reminds me of dating Daniel, although I know he doesn't even know a single song. Fats Domino reminds me of my PawPaw (that's grandpa for non southerners) I guess my point is that I love music and I can't help myself when I set my mom,s ringtone to Patience by Guns n Roses. Because A-I need it-it's a warning tone, B-Rehab by Amy Winehouse wasn't readily available, and C- because it reminds me of happier times when I was tiny and she'd open the windows and clean our house Saturdy morning after my dad and I watched Pee Wee's Playhouse and that song was a hit that they'd play regularly on MTV, back when they played music.  And while Enigma and Enya may lull people to sleep, it reminds me of my aunt burning incense and cleaning her house. (after those two statements in a row, I'm beginning to understand why I have to listen to my itunes when I clean ) It's weird too, because I seriously doubt that those songs make those people think of me.  I also think that my crazy diversity in the music I love comes from the diversity of the people I know. I mean, really, I have a crazy collection of CDs and iTunes that makes up my life soundtrack. So if you ever steal my iPod and shuffle it, you'll hear Dave Matthews, the National, Jason Mraz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eminem, Counting Crows, Sublime, Regina Spektor, Pink Floyd, the Cardigans, No Doubt, Muddy Waters, Juvenile, 3 6 Mafia, George Strait, and a whole lot more. From Ace of Base (yeah, I admit it) to Frank Zappa (he's the only Z I had) Just don't think I'm crazy...I'm probably just on memory lane somewhere.

1 comment:

hanneyjo said...

love this post. Music's a big part of me, too. :)

I knew exactly what your title was from.